Resting Pitch Face
Sunak and Starmer's battle of the speeches marked this year’s first blue on red ding dong. What are their respective pitches? The panel plays a game of spot the difference between the pair’s positions and policies. Plus, as the PM tries to hibernate through the new Winter of Discontent – is he sleepwalking towards a General Strike? And, finally, we unpack the pros and cons of tea-spilling biographies. Anybody heard about one of those recently?
• “None of these policies mean anything. There’s no time given for debt falling.” – Ian Dunt
• “It’s not about what the people want, it’s about wavering target voters.” – Ian Dunt
• “I can’t see a world where Sunak doesn’t lead the Conservatives into the next election, so now Labour knows who the opponent is.” – Marie Le Conte
• “The Government assumed the usual dynamics around strikes would prevail, and they have not prevailed.” – Ian Dunt
• “We have a bunch of not very talented people shunted into ministerial positions saying what they think they’re meant to say.” – Gavin Esler
Presented by Alex Andreou with Gavin Esler, Ian Dunt and Marie Le Conte . Group Editor: Andrew Harrison. Lead Producer: Jacob Jarvis. Producers: Jet Gerbertson and Alex Rees. Assistant Producer: Kasia Tomasiewicz. Audio production by Robin Leeburn. OH GOD, WHAT NOW? is a Podmasters production.