Posh Shoes vs Cheap Earrings
As Sunak and Truss trade blows in a classic blue-on-blue bout, we ask if we’ve really seen the end of the Johnson era. Plus, we unpack the crises either candidate will face should they win. Growing NHS waiting lists, queues in Dover and an ever-deepening cost of living crisis. Do either of them have a plan? This week’s guest is New Statesman deputy political editor Rachel Wearmouth.
• “I wonder if Sunak has lacked the stomach for the fight, that kind of killer instinct.” – Rachel Wearmouth
• "Truss is running a targeted campaign. Sunak is running a glossy PR campaign." – Rachel Wearmouth
• "If you're mansplaining, you're losing." – Rachel Wearmouth
• "Truss is the Boris Johnson continuity candidate." – Rachel Wearmouth
• "It's a bunch of old men saying, I like her, she reminds me of Thatcher." – Alex Andreou
• "We heard more about earrings and shoes than we did about climate change." – Naomi Smith
Presented by Ros Taylor with Alex Andreou and Naomi Smith. Group Editor: Andrew Harrison. Lead Producer: Jacob Jarvis. Producers: Alex Rees, Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Assistant Producer: Kasia Tomasiewicz. Audio production by Robin Leeburn. OH GOD, WHAT NOW? is a Podmasters production.