Humpty Numpty Has Two Big Falls
With Boris Johnson’s face covered in egg after two humbling by-election defeats, we assess the PM’s standing. What further turmoil is coming down the line? Plus, the post-Johnson future will need big political ideas. Guest Geoff Mulgan, former head of policy in the Prime Minister’s office under Tony Blair, gives us some pointers from his new book Another World is Possible.
• “Nobody in British politics ever learns anything from any other country any more. Not Scotland, Wales, France or anywhere.” – Geoff Mulgan
• “Truss, Wallace and Sunak are all looking for a reason to go off in a huff and start their leadership campaigns.” – Alex Andreou
• “The time horizons of politics have shrunken to days or weeks… The mainstream media just aren’t interested in thinking about the future. And that generates enormous pessimism.” – Geoff Mulgan
• “Johnson is not humble, he does not feel the effects of accountability.” – Minnie Rahman
• “Johnson probably will lead the Tories into the next election because there isn’t an alternative.” – Geoff Mulgan
• “What the Government needs is something that divides the public again.” – Minnie Rahman
Presented by Dorian Lynskey with Alex Andreou and Minnie Rahman. Group Editor: Andrew Harrison. Lead Producer: Jacob Jarvis. Producers: Alex Rees, Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Audio production by Robin Leeburn. OH GOD, WHAT NOW? is a Podmasters production.