🚨 EmergencyCast 🚨 Disgraced, Debased, Destroyed
That’s it. Boris Johnson is to resign – sealing his place in history as the most shambolic excuse for a PM ever. We recorded a speedy-release edition on Wednesday, with 36 Government departures. Now we’re over 50. What the hell happened overnight? The resignations wouldn’t stop. Gove managed to get sacked. Johnson was due to fight on – before rather unceremoniously putting his fists down.
• “The idea of Boris Johnson as caretaker, a man not known for taking care is ridiculous” – Dorian Lynskey
• “Silver lining: if Raab agreed to become caretaker, it would mean he’d have to give up all ambitions of having a leadership campaign” – Alex Andreou
• “Johnson has been a lightning rod for anger at how the government has behaved. And if you take that away, the lightning might strike the house.” - Ros Taylor
• “People were hypnotised by Johnson. We all lost our minds. And he’s a reminder that we must never, never let this happen again.” – Ros Taylor
• “It is one of the most astonishing self-owns we will ever see in British politics.” – Ian Dunt
• “My relief that he’s finally gone is tempered with anger that we let this happen.” – Ros Taylor
• “He goes through his career thinking he’s Churchill and ends up just about beating Neville Chamberlain.” – Ian Dunt
Presented by Dorian Lynskey with Alex Andreou, Ian Dunt and Ros Taylor. Group Editor: Andrew Harrison. Lead Producer: Jacob Jarvis. Producers: Alex Rees, Jacob Archbold and Jelena Sofronijevic. Audio production by Robin Leeburn. OH GOD, WHAT NOW? is a Podmasters production.